•  » znalezione w sieci, moze byc przydatne, poradnik [ANGIELSKI]

#1 2011-04-14 10:05:22

vyjec

FORUMOWY MAGIK!!!

Punktów :   

znalezione w sieci, moze byc przydatne, poradnik [ANGIELSKI]

bedzie ctrl+c i ctrl+v mam nadzieje, ze komus pomoze

Introduction

This guide starts from the ground up. It’s long, but none of it is pointless. These strategies are written to be understandable to anyone of any age or skill level. Some of them are very basic, and some of them are very advanced. But even the most seasoned Quaker uses all of these strategies. Quake’s theme, quickness, and long community following have made it an ultra-competitive game. This guide was written to boost new players enough so that they won’t quit after being beaten badly.

You can download my guide from here:

http://markotorg.com/pubneab/users/Ugri … jguide.zip

What's in the guide?

Introduction
Gaming Accessories:
Keyboard
Mouse
Mouse pad
Headphones

Internet
Hardware
Software
Custom .cfg file

Movement
Aiming
Where to aim for each weapon?

Prediction
Ways to practice and improving yourself
Physical and Psychological Condition
Strategies
Strategical movement
Timing
Notice
The top 10 reasons most people aren’t playing as well as they can
Keep these possibilities on the top of your memory while you use a corner or an opponent plays from around a corner

Game Strategies: CTF

Introduction
Short-term Strategy for the game type
The starting game
The middle of the game
The end of the game
Player's mistakes while playing
Advices

Game Strategies: CA

Introduction
The starting game
The middle of the game
The end of the game
Advices

Game Strategies: FFA
Introduction
The starting game
The middle of the game
The end of the game
Advices

Game Strategies: TDM

Introduction
The starting game
The middle of the game
The end of the game
Advices
Game Strategies: Duel

Introduction
The starting game
The middle of the game
The end of the game
Advices
Respawn Times

Other Stuff

How do I change certain settings in the console or in my
permanent .cfg file?
Why lower your video detail settings?
Some maps to play against bots
Team play Chat Binds
Capture the Flag Chat Binds
Other Binds
Why some maps are not fun

Question Answers

Why is it preferred to have team damage on?
Why is Quad not liked in 1on1?
Why are no power-ups liked in 1on1?
Why is the BFG hated?

Future Quake Live Hopes
Vocabulary
Commentary
Conclusion

Gaming Accessories

Keyboard

Let's start from keyboard. A good keyboard can improve your gameplay and movement. But sometimes people can't normally play because their keyboards can't reproduce more than 2-3 keystrokes at the same time. For example not being able to run forwards while changing to a particular weapon, or move right while ducking for example.
The best keyboards are Razer Tarantula, Microsoft x6 and x4, Logitech G15 and G11, Ocz Alchemy and Steelseries Merc or Zboard. The are quite expensive, the cheapest Ocz Alchemy costs about 30 EUR. So if you don't have so much money, just buy a keyboard with " anti-ghosting" technology. Also DO NOT buy wireless keyboards (because it may lag) and keyboard and mouse sets, because mouses there are useless. I had recently bought the Logitech G11, which is really great!!! My movement as well as my playing style changed a lot, and I advice this keyboard to everyone. Quite cheap (cheaper than the G15 or x6), and it is as good as the G15, but with no LCD's(for Quake, you really don't need one) Recommendations:

Entry level (newbie): Your current keyboard, Ocz Alchemy, Steelseries Merc

Quake lover (average or good): Microsoft x4, Logitech G11, Steelseries Zboard

Professional: Microsoft x6, Logitech G15, Razer Tarantula

Mouse

Sometimes people can aim good with RG, LG or any other weapon because their sensitivity is too high or too low. The are more causes when people have too high sensitivity. There is a way to set your best sensitivity:
Measure how far your mouse has to travel to perform a 360 degree turn in game.
1.Place your mouse at edge of mouse mat or at exact point (from were you'll measure) when aimed at an exact point
2.Move slowly round till looking at same point again
3.Measure mouse mat edge to mouse edge.
This simply measures where the edge of your mouse started, to where intended up completing a full 360 degree turn. cm/360 or inches/360 depending where you're from. This is assuming acceleration is off, otherwise speed will alter things considerably. If it's less than 3 inches (7.5cm) then I would argue that your sensitivity set-up is far to high for accurate play, you will unlikely to track well with LG and MG ('well' = near 40% accuracy) and your movement will suffer, circle jumps especially.
The formula to compute sensitivity in inch/cm for a 360°
Assuming no acceleration is used:
S inch = 360 / (M*R*B)
S cm = 360 / (M*(R/2.54)*B)
with
S inch = sensitivity in inch
S cm = sensitivity in cm
M = m_yaw(found in your .cfg file)
R = mouse resolution (dots/counts per inch/dpi)
B = ingame sensitivity

Also the Teflon mouse feet can become rough after a lot of use. Once they are rough, they act just as bad as a sticky mouse pad. The mouse needs to feel like it is sliding on ice. It’s worth trading your old mouse to a friend for a newer one. Fatal1ty, unarguably on of the best Quake players ever, buy new mice for every single tournament he enters so the feet will be smooth again. The best mouses are Razer Deathadder, Razer Abyssus, Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0, Logitech MX518, Logitech G5, Logitech G7, Steelseeries Ikari, Steelseries Kinzu and All4Tech X7 gaming mouses are good. Avoid wireless mouses because they may lag. They all costs about 38 EUR(some are cheaper or more expensive, All4Tech's mouses are twice or more cheaper). I'm now using A4Tech Oscar X7 X-755BK at 1600dpi. It has a rubber grip, so it doesn't slip, and it has 2000dpi. You always should buy mouse, that fits in your hand and it should have more than 800dpi(If it has less than 800dpi, it may be worse than your current mouse). Also, try to buy a mouse with good sensor. Recommendations:

Entry level: Your current mouse, All4Tech's mouses, Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0

Quake lover: Razer Deathadder, Razer Abyssus, Steelseries Kinzu, StellSeries Xai, Logitech G5, Logitech G7

Professional: Razer Deathadder, Razer Abyssus, Logitech MX518, Steelseeries Ikari

Mouse Pad

First, you don’t want a mouse pad that is rough or sticky. It’s hard to tell if the mouse pad you’ve gotten used to is too rough or sticky. To test it just put a finger on only one side of the mouse and try to push it the tiniest amount possible. If it takes a hard push to get it going then you need a new mouse pad. If the mouse tends to skip a few millimetres and go farther than you want it to go, you need a new mouse pad. Plastic mouse pads have this trait the worst. Getting a smooth mouse pad can relieve a lot of headaches. Best mouse pads are Razer's and Steelseries's mouse pads.

Entry level: Your current mouse pad, Speed-link Rapture Gaming

Quake lover: Razer Goliathus Speed or Control Edition, Razer Kabuto, Razer Splex, Steelseries QcK, QcK+ and QcK Mass.

Professional: Razer Destructor, Razer Megasoma, Razer eXact, Razer Vespula, SteelSeries QcK Heavy

Headphones

A lot of people don't use headphones or plays without sound at all and they are losing a lot. I don't know enough about headphones, but I know one thing. Buy headphones with a good quality of sound. AKG, Sennheiser, Plantronics, Creative, Koss (SB-49, ESP950), Razer, Logitech headphones are good. Philips is an EXPENSIVE S***. DO NOT BUY PHILIPS. YOU ONLY LOSE MONEY. I'm now using Koss which I bought for 4 EUR. It is has a very good quality for that price, but still a bit bad in a game. Also, I had recently bought All4Tech HS-100 (15 EUR) and I'm very unhappy with it. TOO heavy, TOO uncomfortable and has about the same quality as my Koss. Overall: bad.
I'm planing to buy Speed-link Medusa NX Stereo Gaming Headset. They costs 20 EUR.

Entry level; Your current headphones or speakers, a good pair of Koss's, AKG's and Seenheiser.

Quake lover: A good pair of Koss's, AKG's and Seenheiser, Ozone Attack, Plantronics GameCom 777

Professional: Ozone Attack, Plantronics GameCom 777, Logitech G35.

Internet

Many people these day chooses wireless connection or mobile internet, because it "fast" and "stable". But it isn't. Wireless lags because the signal is week when 1) bad weather 2) A lot of walls. If the wireless signal is week, it is slower and it begins lagin'. The same is goes for mobile internet (You will lose more money with that, because it is quite expensive). So just use a cable, it costs less than 5 EUR, but it won't lag, better to have a fast internet.

Hardware

It won't be long, because I gonna tell you just a few things. Play QL on a desktop PC. It has higher performance and speed in gaming. Well.., you can use a notebook or netbook, but performance will be worse, and there are more chances that while playing the game will lag. Also a normal desktop pc should have about 80-125 fps while playing. If it's not, then play in lower settings or overclock your computer a little bit.
Also, better to have a discrete sound card, but it's not recommended.

Software

Now goes the big part of settings. After you customized your mouse sensitivity, you should do some changes in QL settings. First of all, I recommend you to increase your field of view to 110-120 degrees(cg_fov). Second of all, play in fullscreen, because your enemy will look bigger in a 20 inch monitor and your brain will think, that it is easier to hit him. That improves accuracy. Third of all, make all of your enemy characters the same, better big (like Kell or Tankjr) with eye-catching colour (light green recommended)(cg_forceEnemyModel). Also to have better prediction of how much health did you took away make a sound setting (cg_HitBeepStyle 3). Now while playing, you will hear different sound while hitting your enemy. More higher sound temper - more health you took away. Also one of the errors people are making while playing is that they are using a scrolling wheel. NEVER USE A SCROLING WHEEL. IT TAKE TO MUCH TIME IN GAME. YOU WILL BE AN EASY FRAG. Use keyboard, it is faster and easier way to change weapons.

Custom .cfg file

In the custom .cfg files you can adjust all the settings, have a custom HUD and a custom menu. Here is the The Ultimate CVARs & CMDs Guide by TheMuffinMan86. There you can find all the commands, which are useful, while writing a custom .cfg file. But remember one thing: Always have a backup of your current default settings, because there may be useful. Here's my custom .cfg file:
ugconfig.zip
The Ultimate CVARs & CMDs Guide by TheMuffinMan86 here:http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/The%20Neab%20Guide/UCC_Guide_3rdEd.zip

Movement

Movement is one of MOST important things in QL after good aiming. To improve your movement, play 4 hours in a week on training maps. It is very useful for beginners, but not for experienced player. You should download and install raztrainql_beta3.pk3 map. I had tried it, it is very useful and I will tell you why. This map is created from different pieces of QL maps, were the hole action is. This is a way to train movement. raztrainql_beta3.pk3 here:
http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … _beta3.zip

Aiming

It is the most important thing in QL. If you more accurate, than more chances to have a kill.* You can always use your technique of aiming, but you to make it better, remember these 4 ways to aim. 1) Footwork aiming is much more reliable than aiming purely with the mouse. Footwork aiming complements aiming with the mouse. It is done when you aim very close but not quite on the person. That’s when you engage footwork aiming.* I now know it’s worthwhile to give up some of the dodging your feet give you in order to help your mouse aim a little. 2) Aiming before you round a few certain corners of a map is a skill to develop. This is not keeping your aim on someone as if you can see them through the wall with a wall hack. This is aiming so that when you move your feet sideways around the corner, THEN you will then be pointing at them. This simply requires memorization of what the map looks like. This is like firing blind except you don’t even look the first time, you already have memorized the place(s) that people usually are, in the upcoming room. This kind of aiming is useful in just a few places on each map. 3) Slash aiming is like moving your mouse through an opponent and clicking on him when he passes your crosshair. It works a lot like “aiming ahead of someone,” only it’s harder since the velocity of the crosshair moving is added to the opponent’s velocity. I will have to explain this better when I figure out how to. It looks like you’re using some sort of aim bot when you do it. It’s like it works because you don’t have to think about when to stop your hand on the opponent, you only have to think about when to click on him. 4) (hardest) In flick shooting, the aiming and the shooting is the same step. Flick shooting is a dangerous thing. Computers, mice, and especially the internet aren’t reliable enough to make the best flick shooter in the world the best Quake player. Even on a LAN the best players having their best games have only hit about 60% of their rail shots (against similarly skilled competition). The simplest way to rail is to flick rail. It is the heart of aiming. If someone is good at flick railing, they are usually good aimers with any weapon (unless they try flick shots too often). It takes the most concentration of any type of aiming despite its simplicity. What can help is to know your “reliable flick rail radius” for a given game. How big of a flick can you make to reliably rail someone? This lets you know how warmed up you are on a given day. Flick rails can be greater than 90 degrees! The person doesn’t have to be in your field of view to flick rail them. Sometimes if you can limit the range of choices behind you enough (for instance knowing someone is in a narrow doorway behind you) you can flick rail 160 degrees without being lucky. Having a lot of frames per second matters tremendously when flick railing
Raise your crosshair after every fired rocket to have a better chance at hitting the opponent in mid-air on the following shot. The closer your rocket gets to their feet, the more you can assume about their bounce trajectory and the more accurately you can move your crosshair into position
The assumption that people will dodge an entire body length or maybe just dodge a significant amount helps you aim a lot. People tend to dodge enough to get their body out of the way of a shot directed right at them whether there is a shot coming at them or not. I guess that’s half a body-length if they assume the shot is headed exactly at their centrer, but my point is: people don’t usually dodge a tiny amount left or right. It would be insignificant. It’s only done for faking. If you don’t think they are going to fake you, then you can wait for them to just start to move in a direction and then assume they’ll keep going in that direction. For the rail gun, since it’s such as damaging weapon per hit, you can wait until you're ready for them to change directions and rail them when you're ready. This whole case of assuming they’ll continue moving extends to an important case: jumping. When someone jumps it’s much easier to hit them. When you’ve played a lot the past few days and your reactions are on, you can hit them almost every time they jump just before they land. They just can’t change direction enough in mid-air.

Where to aim for each weapon:

Gauntlet: anywhere, ducking before making contact is about the only special technique

Rail gun: neck

Shotgun: center of player

Machine gun: center of player

Plasma gun: neck

Lightning gun: neck

Rocket launcher: neck because if you aim at their center they will jump over it toward you and you will get shot while you reload. If they are too far away to be hit directly, aim for their feet. If you aim for their feet and they jump it in any direction the rocket will still land close enough to them to damage and jolt them.

Grenade launcher: neck

BFG: neck or feet, similar to the rocket launcher

I choose the neck and not the head in order to give you some room for error. You don’t ever want to aim over their head. If they start to jump, a neck shot is high enough to still hit them. I choose their center because those weapons have spread. We want most of the spread bullets to hit the target so we aim at their center. It actually takes a little more care to aim with the shotgun and machine gun rather than the rail gun and lightning gun because you have to jerk your aim up suddenly when they jump or some of the spread bullets will miss.

Here is the aiming maps for training aim:
http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … ce_0_1.zip
http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … on_0_1.zip

Prediction

Prediction is important at duels and CA. It is based on what you're hearing. For example, if you hear steps, then there can be your teammate or enemy. Prediction is quite simple, because you're predicted yours enemy moving way. But it is also hard very hard, because you always must be concentrated on hearing steps or any other sounds. You can predict almost everything by listening. You can predict, what weapon your enemy uses, when he changes it, where he is (about) at the moment, how much health he has and how much health you took away(about)
For predicting how much health your enemy has, you must know one thing. There are 4 different pain sounds for each model in Quake. Whenever someone gets hurt at all one of these sounds plays. The one that is played depends on the level of health that someone is left with. Their amount of armor is not taken into consideration. The divisions are: 1-25, 25-49, 50-74, 75-200. You only have to learn the pain sounds for one or two models. There’s a command called cg_forcemodel that will make all the models in the game the same model that you are. But it’s better to learn them for all the models so you don’t have to use cg_forcemodel and can tell each person apart. The pain sounds are probably the most important things you can memorize!
Also you must memorize another important thing. damage of all weopons.

Weapon damage numbers and reload time(ms):

Gauntlet: 50 per punch, 400ms
Machine gun: 7 in FFA, 1on1, and CTF, 5 in team play,100ms
Shotgun: 10 per pellet, 11 pellets per shell,1000ms
Plasma gun: 20 per cell, 100ms
Lightning gun: 7-7-7*, 50 ms
Rail gun: 80 per shot, 1500 ms
Grenade launcher: 100**, 800 ms
Rocket launcher: 100**, 800 ms
BFG: 100 per shot if direct, splash (max) is 100, 200 ms
NG: 120, unknown
CG: 80-160***, unknown

*LG damage is 3 numbers as the shaft is in 3 sections, close-mid-long range
**RL GL max 42 on self splash (non direct/full on hit), max 84 on other players
***(80 during 1sec of spin up, 160 at full speed, assuming all bullets hit)

Ways to Practice and improving yourself

1) Play commentator of demos and matches. Make sure the players can't hear you. Don't type commentary because that's much too slow. Practicing this way will help you gain long-term strategy. It will help you know what strategies win matches. It will help your prediction of game events. It will help you keep track of everything happening in the map. It will give you a feel for the pace of Quake -- how many quads spawn per match, how many times someone will usually need to traverse a certain path per match, etc.
2) Just watch demos of the best players. Also, watching demos of yourself from someone else’s point of view helps a lot. If you think about how much time you’ve spent playing Quake, watching demos isn’t very time-consuming.
3) Run backwards through levels. Do your best not to get stuck on anything. Your main concern is how fast you can flee while shooting at the enemy. Can you pick up items without looking at them? Can you strafe jump sideways and backwards through the level? Can you stay far enough away from the walls to avoid some splash damage from them (without looking at the walls)?
4) Play in slow motion. You can adjust timescale to values less than one to lower the speed of the entire game. This lets you get better at being efficient in your movement and being calmer while you play. Maybe lowering it by one half would be a good start.
5) Play in nightmare mode with bots and rockets. Bots don't react to you so it's a fantastic way to practice your rail aim. They aren't dodging you personally like real people do. They don’t take your playing style into consideration when they dodge like real people sometimes do. They aren't trying to fake you out; they are dodging in some pre- programmed way or a random way. Furthermore bots don't learn as you play them. Once you know their patterns, you can be sure of where they will be. Try to get your aim as certain as your knowledge of where they are is. Keep trying until you can hit them every time in certain situations, certain key shots.
6) Practice common scenarios on the popular maps. You can play like it's horse andredo the same scenario back and forth seeing who can win each one more. A scenario is done to learn how to play a certain map better. Scenarios are usually practised once more general lessons have been learned. It is usually done a few days before a competition.
7) Shoot the map. This is another low-stress way to improve your game. So many people get too nervous and shaky when playing Quake. This will help you get a sense for pacing yourself so you can build up the speed of your play as you feel more comfortable Just run through the map collecting armors while picking points on the map to shoot. Note the difference between your shot and your intended target and move on.
8 ) Shadow play. It’s like shadow boxing. Play an empty map making sure to time the armors perfectly. Shoot at an invisible enemy along the way. Play whole matches this way.
9) When there’s a lull in the action in a match or before matches practice switching your crosshair from different targets back and forth instantly. The targets can be doorways that an enemy might come out of and you don't know which. It keeps your aim warmed up. Another way to keep your eyes active so you don’t get your aim cold is to move around from side to side or in small circles. It just moves your perspective around and keeps your screen changing so you don’t feel yourself starting to tire. Once you slow down you won’t be able to speed yourself back up in the right way. Once you sigh or think “hey now I bet I have enough of a lead to play defensively”, your aim and timing will be off. I’ve seen it happen to even the best players in tournaments a million times.
10) Play on instagib servers. This is probably the best way to improve your aim. I'd do this after you can comfortably rail bots on your own computer. Even after your rail aim is great, instagib servers are great to practice on every few days to keep your aim warmed up. Especially good for the day before a match you want to win.
11) Play less skilled players and play mostly in games with few players. You don’t get better when you are re-spawning frequently. You get better when you have many weapons in your arsenal to choose from. You get better when you get to pursue long battles. To do that you need other players that aren’t going to get the armors every time. You get better when you have time to relax and think about the parts of the game that aren’t immediately confronting you. If you want to learn the tactics of the great players then just watch demos of them. Good players will find you eventually, don’t torture yourself by thinking the more I play with them the more I’ll play like them.
12) Make demos of your gameplay. this will help you understanding your misstakes and learing from them.

Physical and Psychological Condition

This para will be about yours heath. Some things may surprise you, others may help you.
Quake tends to demand a lot of concentration and energy. If you don’t feel like playing some day you’ll probably lose. There is always someone out there who isn’t better than you overall, but who is more motivated on that day and can beat you. Try not to get bent out of shape when you lose. It’s much better to lose badly to someone who is playing well than to beat someone while playing worse than you usually do.

Don't play if you are tired. Don't play if you are upset. Be calm and aggressive while playing. Once you're calm, you will have better accuracy, that improves your game. CONCENTRATION IS VERY IMPORTANT. If you'll be nervous, you will lose concentration, if you lose concentration, you lose your aim. If you lose your aim, you die faster and you will be more nervous. It is making a circle. The best way to be calm is remembering three things. 1) Imagine that your enemy is total loser in real life. 2) Say to him "f*** off" You will feel a bit better . 3) Remembering that is just a game. After playing Quake for 2-3 hours and then say "it enough for me today" you will lose your concentration and even can't do simple things, which requires accuracy. The best way to bring back your concentration is relaxing. Better sleeping for an hour, maybe two.

When most people play they get symptoms of dizziness, headache, and motion sickness. Even years after those symptoms disappear, people still need to see lots of Quake frequently to keep their eyes well tuned. When I watch people’s point of view, I find that most don’t look around enough. They don’t want to get disoriented or lose their sense of direction. Once you get used to how everything looks you will be able to look around more. You’ll check your back more frequently, and you won’t have to stare down hallways for even half a second to see that no one is there. Being able to recognize things instantly is a big advantage. It’s hard to detect and measure how fast you’re recognizing the things on the screen and so it is easy to take it for granted on those days when you are playing poorly.

Strategies

Before telling you the strategies, I want to add some more information. It will help you to make your strategies more effective.

Strategical movement

If you learnt it well, then your opponent can't predict your moves and you simply win. Also it hepls you to stay alive. To learn good strategical movement, just watch duel matches of best QL duelers like sk rapha, EG DaHanG, fox, Cypher and Cooller. All their movement is perfect. Watch them on youtube,* better final games of QL duel tournaments. I recommend you to watch Cypher vs EG DaHanG or Cypher vs. Cooller duel matches. While
watching, try to understand, how they are moving at some place and the reason of it.
QuakeCon 2010 Final
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4
Game 5

Timing

I meant collecting items and their respawn times. If you learn all times, you always know, when red armor or mega appears. it helps a lot and it will keep you alive.

******************** Item spawn times in seconds:

All weapons: ** 5 normally;15 in TDM; 30 on pro-TDM
All armors and armor shards: ***** 25
All healths: ********************** * * * * * * * * 35
All ammo boxes: **************************** 40
All holdable power ups: *************** 60
All major power ups: ************** * ** 120

All times may be overridden by each map author, but there are very few maps with altered item spawn times. Times can even be set to random by a map author. The initial major power up spawn time is random sometime in between 30-60 seconds.

Also try out the timing training program for Windows and a mobile phone training version.
Phone version:http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/The%20Neab%20Guide/time-calc-midlet.jar
Pc version(for windows only): http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … Timing.zip
Other programs (PC, widows only)
http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … _timer.zip
http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … rainer.exe

Notice (most of this I should add earlier, but forgot about it)

1) All of your weapons push your opponent, even a weapon as weak as the machine gun in team death match mode. The amount of push is proportional to the amount of damage inflicted for each gun. Push is not compatible between weapons though. And I know a direct 100 damage hit from a rocket launcher doesn’t push someone as much as 50 splash damage from a rocket. But within each weapon and type of damage, the amount of push is proportional to the amount of damage inflicted. There is no push without damage being inflicted and vice versa (except when team damage is off or if they are wearing a battle suit). The closer an explosion is to someone (without exploding directly on them) the more splash damage it will do and the more it will push. Quad triples all damages and all pushes. The maximum push limit is artificially programmed to be the force caused by 200 damage. So a quad rail, for example, does 300 damage but only 200 damage worth of push. It's a fixed limit not a down-scaling multiplier.
2) Quad triples all damages. Haste divides reload times by 1.3. That makes them reload 77 percent faster. (Haste also makes you move 30 percent faster.) The grenade splash radius is exactly 20 percent bigger than the rocket splash radius.
3) Armor absorbs two-thirds of the damage you take and the rest will be deducted from your health. We can learn a couple important things from this fact. Be careful about rocket jumping if you have less than 50 health no matter how much armor you have. Another is it can help to be able to multiply health by three quickly if you think health will run out before armor will. If an opponent is about to die and they pick up a red armor, simply multiply what you guess their health to be by three and take that much damage off them.
4) Acid and Lava- the deeper you are the more it hurts. A period is roughly 3/4ths of a second.

A puddle of acid with no depth takes off 10 per period.

One inch deep in acid takes off 20 per period.

If your whole body is in acid it takes off 30 per period.

A puddle of lava with no depth takes off 30 per period.

One inch deep in lava takes off 60 per period.

If your whole body is in lava it takes off 90 per period.

Each successive period takes off double even if you jump in between sometimes. Usually jumping makes it only take off singly though.
5) Falling damage is a function of downward speed. If you are blasted downward you will take more damage no matter how far you have fallen. The maximum falling damage you can take is 10 health. It is doubled if you are crouching, and lessened if you land in water. Landing in a puddle of water halves the damage, landing in 1-inch-deep water quarters the damage, and landing in water over your head cushions the damage entirely. The highest rocket jump will take off 5 health when you land.
6) Drowning damage is related to time under water. Drowning damage is not absorbed at all by one’s armor.

Seconds****** Damage**** Total Damage
** 11********************* 0********************* 0
** 12********************* 4********************* 4
** 13********************* 6********************* 10
** 14********************* 8********************* 18
** 15********************* 10******************** 28
** 16********************* 12******************** 40
** 17********************* 14******************** 54
** 18********************* 15******************** 69
** 19********************* 15******************** 84
** 20******** All are 15 afterward** 99

The battle suit power up has several properties. It prevents all forms of splash damage. It prevents all damage from falling, acid, lava, and drowning. Under water the seconds don’t start counting until after the suit has worn off so don’t worry about drowning until well after the suit has worn off.

7) The regeneration power up gives you either 15 or 5 health per second for 30 seconds. If you have less than 100 health, it will add 15 health per second. If you have more than 100 health, it will add 5 health per second.
8 ) Be aware of the wind sound when items spawn. All items make the same sound when they spawn. It sounds like quickly swinging something through the air for just an instant.

The top 10 reasons most people aren’t playing as well as they can:

1) Not having enough frames per second. Could you play baseball well looking through a video camera instead of your bare eyes? Frames per second effects your ability to aim dramatically.
2) Not wearing headphones. This includes not knowing how extremely important the stereo sound in Quake is. I can beat new players with my eyes closed (literally) since I know I’m aiming at someone if the sound of them is coming out of each side of my headphones at equal volume. If the volume in both ears is low, I know they are far away. With practice you can tell exactly how far. Always wear headphones. It's huge. It aids your locating of sounds a whole lot. I can’t stress this point enough.
If you don’t know where an opponent might be don’t select a weapon that constantly emits noise. The lightning gun, rail gun, and even the BFG give off sound when they are the selected weapon. This is a major reason the rocket launcher is the most used weapon in the game. The rail gun or lightning gun can be more damaging in many situations, but they give away your exact location.
You can get used to locating sounds by firing grenades at places and turning your head away and listening to how the sound changes. The sound is the same whether there is a wall in between you and the grenade or not. It doesn’t play tricks on you like real sound does. The sound doesn’t bounce off of surfaces like real sound does. This lets you use the sound in Quake more like radar than sound. There is even a radius around you where people’s footsteps just start to be audible to you. Figure out and memorize this radius.
3) Having a ping that is higher than their opponents’.
4) Having a sensitivity that is too high. It should take you at least 3 inches to do a full 360-degree turn. The lightning gun and machine gun take the least sensitivity, followed by the plasma gun, followed by the rail gun, followed by the shotgun, followed by the rocket launcher followed by the grenade launcher. You can bind each weapon its own sensitivity but I haven’t bothered with that myself.
5) Not having a key assigned to each weapon. You can’t scroll through weapons with next and previous weapon keys. It’s much too slow. Most people don’t think ahead far enough to be able to hit the key of a good cleanup weapon. Most people can’t even name which weapons they have in their arsenal if you ask them. Keep your options in mind, know what weapons you have at all times so that you can switch at a moment’s notice.
6) Getting too nervous most of the times they play so they don’t benefit as much from their playing time. You’re not going to learn much if you’re so nervous that pick up a weapon a second time because you forgot you already had picked it up earlier.
7) Not knowing how the game works. Maybe the damage values of the weapons. Maybe the spawn times of the items. Maybe the effects of ping and packet loss.
8 ) Not enlarging their field of view. I recommend cg_fov 110 or 120 rather than the default of 90 degrees. This is to help your melee fighting mostly. Of course it also helps you see unexpected enemies that aren’t directly in front of you.
9) Not being subjected to enough Quake to be able to visually recognize things quickly. Play more Quake or watch someone play Quake. Once you get used to how everything looks you will be able to look around more. You’ll check your back more frequently, and you won’t have to stare down hallways for even half a second to see that no one is there. Being able to recognize things instantly is a big advantage. It’s hard to detect and measure how fast you’re recognizing the things on the screen and so it is easy to take it for granted on those days when you are playing poorly.

I purposely did not put “10. Not having good reflexes.” on the list. The quick reflexes come after playing for a while. There’s nothing these people are doing wrong except not playing enough the past few days. So now Quake seems really basic and all you have to do is make sure you do these nine things correctly and you’ll improve dramatically. Well you’ll improve dramatically, but Quake Live isn’t as simple as a game of playground tag.

Keep these possibilities on the top of your memory while you use a corner or an opponent plays from around a corner:

1) Peek- only half of your body sticks out from a corner or ledge. Just enough so that your crosshair comes out from the corner.
2) Sneak- walk out from the corner
3) Run- out “
4) Jump- out “
5) long jump- circle strafe jump out “ or double strafe jump out “
6) Fake- running partially out and then immediately back in as fast as possible. This is done to make the opponent miss. In Quake the running speed is fast enough that you can duck in and out from a corner before it is humanly possible to click the mouse at you. You can fake to draw a missed rail so you can start the battle while they are reloading. Another and even more useful reason to use the fake is to desensitize the person’s reaction to you. If they miss three times in a row, for example, they will let out farther from the corner on your next attempt before they try to shoot at you.
These six possibilities seem very, very basic. They are. You already knew all of them. The reason I put them in here is that if you pay attention to what your opponent does each time you fight them around a corner, you’ll be able to predict them very well. Also if you are able to keep track of your own actions around corners, you can mix them up to seem more unpredictable to an opponent.
Picture your opponent’s perspective. Think of how you look as a target. How easy are you to hit with the weapons they are trying to use? It’s like being able to glance over at someone else’s screen while playing them.
Remembering how different opponents play is helpful. The things to remember are: dodging patterns they've used, accuracies with different weapons, how good they are at certain key shots, what weapons they like to use more, how fast they are at switching weapons, which of them are playing the best, etc. Most other things about them aren't important. Taking extra considerations into mind will have you playing their style of Quake and therefore losing. You need to keep your mind on your own goals so you don't forget how you plan to win. Concentrate too much on figuring them out and you'll lose.
Know what time quad will run out so you can stop retreating at that instant. Just add the 30 seconds to your timer when you hear someone pick it up. Once you play more you can even get good at adding seconds to that time when someone dies with quad and it’s laying there on the ground. The more precise you time it the better. All this seems so trivial to some people. Why go all out and try to be so competitive at a game? Are all these tiny tedious things worth it? Don’t they make the game less enjoyable? You don’t have to do it to be competitive and win all the time. Knowing when certain events are going to happen enhances the fun of the game. For example, knowing exactly when someone’s quad is going to run out while watching them fight someone else, let’s you do some crazy stuff.
Again, it’s all about prediction. I’m not just saying this because I’ve heard it before. I’m saying this because I’ve experienced how important it is to winning games. People don’t realize how much you can predict. Most of that is due to people not realizing that prediction doesn’t always have to be a certainty. And a lot of it is also due to people not realizing that prediction isn’t always arriving at one answer. If you can just narrow down some of the possibilities, then you’ve gotten better.
You must think longer and longer in advance to time items well and truly play Quake. What details can you fill in? Will you have enough health to make an attempt at the mega health the next time it spawns? The sooner you answer these questions the better prepared you will be. Think about how much damage you will have to absorb yourself to kill someone. Think about how much damage you can give and still achieve the win of the match. Think about which items you will be able to pick up while you flee from an enemy. Test yourself, try to predict exactly when someone will die so you don’t waste ammo and time. The best Quake players predict these things better than their competition.

Game Strategies: CTF

Introduction

Finally, strategies. this part will be about players' mistakes while playing, advices and in the begining short-term strategy.

Short-term Strategy for the Game Type:

The starting game: Usually players spawn in their own base, but it depends on the map. Either a team will try a quick attack on the opponent’s flag or try to get a get power up first.

The middle game: CTF has different goals and sub-goals than other game types. In CTF the ultimate goal is to capture, but a side goal is to control the power ups. Things like blocking for teammates and save items for teammates can have more organization in CTF. It's very complex.

The end game: This begins when one team has a lead and starts to play extra defense. Some teams like to keep the pressure on with their offense as a good defense so they may do this instead no matter if they lead by a little or a lot.

Players' mistakes while playing

Offence

Most of people when they just spawned, they try to get a RL, maybe some armor, a power-up and goes for the flag. You can not do such a thing. Always have in your arsenal more than 2 normal weapons, better to get red armor and mega as well. Also a lot of people wants to do all by themselves. you will be an easy frag to-good defending team. Better to attack with your teammate(s) to have more powerful attack and chance of flag run(capture). Be careful when someone chases you. If you'll use Proxy Launcher, you will mine your way, but remember two moments: 1) Mines are easily taken off by RL or GL. 2) You will show your opponent the way up to you.

Defence

First, don't leave your home base if you're alone. One of reasons of bad defence is that. If you're not alone, you can leave your base for a short period of time to pick up weapons, armor and power-ups. While pick weapons or armor you had seen an attack coming, report it to your teammates at homebase. Better to have 3 people in home base who would defend the flag. It is one of best defences ever.

Advices

Overall advice: Choose a side - attacking or defending before doing something.

Offence

You should always have this weapons in your arsenal while attacking : RL (basic weapon in allmost all situations), SG (good at close battle), RG (good in long-range battle), PL (Proxy Launcher, useful when someone chases you) and CG (more powerful weapon than a MG, useful while replacing MG). Make sure, that ammo in all weapons were at max. The red armor is basically in the middle of almost all CTF maps, so try to get it before your opponent, by the way into yours opponent base (mega as well). Better to use Guard or Scout power up. If you have no time to collect armor, you may use Armor Regen. I don't like Armor Regen because it won't give you anything more, than armor (it gives armor quite slow though). Also I don't like Doubler, I think it's useless in CTF. Guard will lower your damage, so it's the best solution for you (if you already have red armor). Scout is good, because it increases the player's rate of movement, grants him silent footsteps while running, increases the rate of fire of his weapons and grants him a unique level of mobility that prevents him from taking any damage from his own weapons. But Scout has a BIG minus. It takes half of your armor (I mean if you'll collect red armor, it will go down to 50). If you get killed while attacking by yours opponent attack, report to your teammates at home base to get ready for attack. Also while going into yours opponent base, try to collect everything you will see, but remember 2 things 1) Respawn times 2) You will show yourself to your opponent(s), so be careful with that.
Try to mine all ways into yours opponents base. You will get easy frags and maybe stop a new attack.

#2 2011-04-14 10:08:58

vyjecc

FORUMOWY MAGIK!!!

Punktów :   

Re: znalezione w sieci, moze byc przydatne, poradnik [ANGIELSKI]

Defence

Weapons you should have (all at max ammo) :
RL (basic weapon in almost all situations), SG (good at close battle), RG (good in long-range battle), Proxy Launcher ( to mine all possible ways to your home base), GL( useful while defending or checking from opponents or to stop a little bit your's opponent attack), PG( useful to stop a little bit yours opponent attack). Always shoot through doorways with PG and GL while having an attack. You may kill all your opponents bay this way. better to have this power-up: Guard, Armor Regen (Scout not useful while defending). As you know, while defending you must stay at your home base. Armor Regen helps a lot with armor (don't have to leave the home base for armor), Guard will keep you longer alive. Before checking the room, where is your opponent, shoots some grenades. It has quite big splash radius( 20 % bigger than RL). After an attack, your opponent may not have time to pick up armor or health, so by this way you can easily score a frag.

I think I had told you the basics of CTF. You can be more successful, if you'll be creative while playing. Creativity may help you to find out more strategies that should be useful.

Game Strategies: CA

Introduction

In this para I will talk about player's mistakes and advice them what to do in certain situations. I mean this are the basics of CA mode. You can always create something better.

There are CA and Large CA modes. Their only difference is that in Large CA mode there can play twice more players than in original CA. But today's maps are quite too small for Large CA, only Dredwerkez, Chemical Reaction and Demon Keep are quite large for Large CA. Why I started like this? Because Large CA's are too crowded. This means that you'll die faster if you get to your opponents. Better to start from normal CA's. To get better at CA mode, play in more challenging difficulty. Also to get better, try to have more than 30 percent accuracy with LG, RG and RL. But don't forget about movement. Rocket jumping, strafe and circle jumps are also very important. This are the basics.

Short-Term Strategy for The Game Type
The starting the game: The starting game is hard to define in team play. It’s mostly a scramble when no one knows where their teammates or their opponents are. It’s very random.
Try to push your opponent by winning 4 or 5 rounds in a row. If someone of better players connects, you will have a lead, which is hard to chase. If you are losing, keep trying to win the second round to keep chances of chasing your opponent team.
The middle of the game: Try to keep your lead as long as possible to win the game. Better to be close to your teammate(s). If someone is better than you, learn from him. Also try not to die. You'll help your teammate(s) as well. If your opponent team chases you,then try to win the second round. If you can't, try to understand, what's wrong. It can be your team, it can be that is your opponent team has too much good players than your team has. There are a lot of reasons. Just keep trying.

The end of the game: Try to keep your lead or try to chase your opponent if you're losing a few rounds. Don't die. If you're losing with the score of 8-0, the are no chances to win against a good player team. If the score is 8-8, try your best to win rounds and keep your lead to win.

1) Don't ever stay at stairs in the Campgrounds map. You will be like a mouse, which is hiding from two cats. You will be an easy frag.
2) Always move thorough the map, don't stay at one place hiding and waiting for your opponent. You can do it if there left only one player from the enemy team.
3) Don't use only one weapon. Use weapon combinations. For example 3 rockets+LG to finish, 2-3 rails+LG or RL. Be creative at that part and careful at the same time because you can die when you are using wrong weapon.
4) Don't go to your opponent by predictable way. Also try to be with your teammate(s) at the begging of the round. Don't fight alone vs. opponent team. You will be an easy frag
5) Don't be too aggressive or too defensive. Try to be at middle. When you are at middle, you are more effective with this way. Also, don't change your opponents. You must see one with the lowest hp and take him down.

Advices

1) There are no useless weapon. All weapons are good at certain situations. RL, SG, LG and RG are good attacking weapons, while PG and GL normally are defending weapon. PG shoots quite a lot of shots and it's damage is quite big (20 per cell). GL has a bigger splash radius than RL, but does the same damage like RL.
2) Stay with your teammate(s) at the beginning of the round.
3) If you are the last in your team and opponent team has 2-3 players alive try to kill one or if there are no chances, then try to have a round draw. Round draw is effective, but it is hard to hide well until that time.
4) If there left only one man in the opponent team, try to kill him a fast as possible. Also be with your teammate(s) to kill your opponent faster or to help him (them) if something goes wrong.
5) Try to temporize at the last rounds and if there 1-2 minutes left.
6) Always help your teammate(s) if it's possible to save them and not to die. They will help you later.
7) Try to hear an upcoming opponent (predict him).
8 ) Have a back-up plan to run out from your opponent(s) or if you can't get to an opponent(s), because there are blocking the way.
9) Always be careful while using RG or LG. They are making sound so you can be predictable to good players. Also, RG reloads quite long, so don't forget about that.
You can always kill 2-3 players by your predicting if you try harder.

Game Strategies: FFA

Introduction

I think, the easiest mode in Quake (at low skill). Even a no0b can win a match shooting everywhere and getting frags. But I hadn't figured out more mistakes and advises. I think, it because of the mode. Well, a new guy just entered this mode, he will take a weapon and go for a kill. In FFA mode sometimes there are so many people, that it is useless to collect armor or mega, because you will still die. Actually, I like this gametype the most, because it simple, but it can learn a lot of things, which are important in other gametypes. So, a new guy should always begin from FFA. It's like a training before a competition.

The starting game: This is a mad rush for a weapon. If the game has few players, you may choose to get an armor or other valuable item before getting a weapon. The starting game in FFA is shortest when there are a lot of players in the game. It can even be as short as five seconds.

The middle game: Your aim is going f***ing wild, shooting people one right after the other in rapid succession. Too many people; only one crosshair. If there are more than about 8 people in the map, you may have to resort to just controlling the weapon closest to where you spawn. This can get very repetitious. If the map is crowded, hopefully you will be able to get 2 or 3 kills before you die each time. And hopefully you will chase a few people away from the weapon thus delaying them from getting frags. Check who the top few players are as the match progresses. Don’t give them any breaks.

The end game: This begins when the leader is slowing down and saving his energy for future games. To slow down properly emphasize item control over rapid frags. Let more people flee and don’t die for frags. If you can get valuable items on the map, you’re preventing other people from going on big streaks. Only do this if you have a very large lead.

1) Having only one weapon. You should never have only on weapon in your arsenal, because even max ammo RL may be empty in 40 seconds. Also, don't focus on one weapon. Some times other weapons are more effective.
2) Don't be a frag. I mean, don't camp on one place, don't hide in one place only, don't run into a 10 people battle without armor and gun as well. Be fast, be mobile, be aggressive and always look at your hp, armor and ammo bars as well as timer.
3) Never begin a battle against a Quad damage carrier. Even if he's a no0b, he will kill you easily. Better run from that place, or to hide.
4) Try not to die. Always collect armor and health. If you'll can win a FFA match with 50 kill and 5 deaths, than you are FFA pro.
5) Panic when you are having a lead and someone is chasing you. Never panic, be calm ant try to kill someone to win.

Advices

1) Get the Quad damage first. The Quad damage always made games unstable. What I meant? If some one has 10 frags lead, you can easily chase him with Quad. Same goes when you are having a lead.
2) To be more successful, you should have a good aim.
3) Don't stay at one place. Be mobile.
4) Be accurate with weapons such as RL, PG, BFG and GL. You might kill yourself.

Game Strategies: TDM

Began to love this gametype. FFA and duel mix, but at high level. One of the most difficult one's. You need good skillz to play it, to win it.

The starting game: The starting game is hard to define in team play. It’s mostly a scramble when no one knows where their teammates or their opponents are. It’s very random.

The middle game: This is when everybody is concentrated and working hard. Usually the team who gets quad the most times wins. The ultimate battle in Quake occurs when quad spawns in team death match.

The end game: This is also defined by the beginning of stalling. This comes much later in team play than other modes of play. Usually there is no stalling unless the score is very close with only one minute left in play. Stalling in team death match is different from stalling in 1 on 1. Stalling in team death match almost always includes all the team members gathering together at a defensible place on the map.

1) Getting one weapon an going to battle. As I had said earlier, you should have as 2 weapons as minimum to fight. Also, Try to get some armor too. BUT REMEMBER!!!!! In the TDM mode all the weapons are spawning slower than in other modes. So while waiting the weapon be careful, because your opponent can easily ambush you and score a kill.
2) Don't sit at one place, MOVE! In the TDM mode, staying as long alive as possible is important. It means that your opponent team firstly will have lower score, secondly, you will have a bit control of the map and the game as well. If you're alive, then you shouldn't collect the weapons, because you already have them, so just collect the ammo boxes. If the ammo boxes are out, then collect the weapons.
3) Don't be a loser, give a weapon to your recently respawned teammate.
4)Never stop playing, play to the end!!!

Advices

1)Stay alive! If you're alive, then you shouldn't collect the weapons, because you already have them all, so just collect the ammo boxes. If the ammo boxes are out, then collect the weapons. BE CAREFUL!! When you are not collecting the weapons, you just give them to your opponent, who really needs them.
2) Don't let your opponent collect the items. As long as you keep all important weapons (RL and LG) and armor in your team control, as long you're be winning.
3) Get the Quad first. You can really mess everything up to your opponent with Quad.

Game Strategies: Duel

In my opinion, this is the funniest, the most good skill requiring, most difficult and the most popular gametype ever. I really not good at this part, because I just f*ck up with timing the items. Then, my opponent takes the map control and I'm losing. I just can't calculate so fast and think about so many things at the same time while playing. My head blows up. I can't understand, how pro's are doing this? You should have a CPU (processor) in your head to do it. Maybe pro's aren't humans? Maybe they are robots? xDDDD

The starting game: Finding out where your opponent spawned is the highest priority at first. Go through your pre-planned route corresponding to your spawn point and your opponent’s spawn point. You want to have a plan for this part of the game depending on where both of you spawn. The starting game ends when all the valuable items on the map are taken once and you both have the most useful items for that map. The starting game can also end when all the valuable items are taken once and someone has gotten a kill. Keep your eyes open most at the start of the game. You may be able to gain a lot of leverage against even the best players at this time.

The middle game: This is where you both are put to the test. Work some magic.

The end game: This is defined by when stalling begins. This can happen as early as 5 minutes left in the game on certain stallable maps. Stalling patterns can be very complicated. It can include being chased in an endless loop. It can include waiting on one side of a teleporter until the opponent comes. It can include ambushing. It almost always includes waiting as long as possible to re-spawn after being killed.

1) Not collecting the items. The items like red armor and mega health are important in the duels. If you haven't collected them both, then the map control goes to your opponent.
2) Having one weapon. As I had said earlier, you should always have almost all the weapons.
3) Playing without sound. When you play without sound, you are a no0b, because you can't predict, where is your opponent at the moment, so is much harder to play. Also, you can't hear the items respawning and you can't hear the weapons sounds, footsteps and jumps, which can help scoring a frag.
4) Not timing items.
5) Silly standing at one place and waiting for an enemy on open areas.

Advices

1) Get all valuable items on the map. Not letting your opponent having any armor and extra heath is the basic wining tactic. You see, when you have 190 HP and 190 armor, you will die only after 5 direct rockets or after 7 rocket shots, while your opponent may die after a rocket and a Shotgun shot. So who is a winner?
2) Be at those areas were yo can access all the items by the shortest way and see almost all the map, so you can control it.
3) Don't let your opponent collecting anything. Collect everything you see on your road such as weapons, armor shards and heath balls.
4) Timing!!! Never forget about armors and megas, always keep an eye on a timer.
5) Strafe jumps, Circle jumps and Circle-Strafe jumps. Never forget about movement training, it sometimes may help.

RESPOWN times:

Wanted to help to all those people, who can't time well.(Like me)

Red Armor Mega Health
(Yellow Armor)

First Second
half: half:

00:00 05:00 00:00 07:00
00:25 05:25 00:35 07:35
00:50 05:50 01:10 08:10
01:15 06:15 01:45 08:45
01:40 06:40 02:20 09:20
02:05 07:05 02:55 09:55
02:30 07:30 03:30
02:55 07:55 04:05
03:20 08:20 04:40
03:45 08:45 05:15
04:10 09:10 05:50
04:35 09:35 06:25

Other Stuff

How do I change certain settings in the console or in my permanent .cfg file?

To change any setting in Quake Live all you have to do is hit the `~ key which brings down what is called the console. The console will take up the entire top half of your screen. It’s a text-based interface that lets you either type in a command or change a variable. If you want to see what value a variable is set to without changing it simply type the name of the variable. It shows the current value and the default value. The console has a feature that lets you type the first letter few letters of any command or variable and automatically complete the command or variable’s name by hitting the TAB key. There are well over a hundred commands and variables so all of them are not listed. In fact most of them aren’t needed to be changed no matter how picky someone is – they were just made to ease the development of Quake Live by the programmers. A slash must precede anything typed in the console. Slashes are not necessary in .cfg files however. The only other difference between the format of a .cfg file and the console is that the word “set” must precede any variable.

PAGE UP- goes up one line in the console.

PAGE DOWN- goes down one line in the console.

CTRL-HOME- goes to the bottom of the console instantly.

CTRL-END- goes to the top of the console instantly.

UP- brings back the last entries you typed.

bind- this assigns an action to a key.

callvote kick- kicks a player of your choice.

callvote map- changes map to a map that you choose.

cg_drawgun - turn this off to get more frames per second and see more of your field of view. You can see the icon at the bottom of your screen to know which weapon you have selected so showing your weapon is not necessary.

cg_drawteamoverlay- this is a valuable command for team play. It doesn’t appear in any other mode of play except team death match and CTF. It give the location, health amount, armor amount, weapon being used, and amount of ammo for the weapon being used for every person on your team.

cg_drawtimer- this one is important for timing items. With this off it’s impossible to time items. You can also time a few other things with this like when a power up of an enemy will run out and exactly when a match is going to end.

cg_lagometer- This keeps a graph of your ping and your packet loss on screen. Can’t live without it.

exec- this is how you load a .cfg file. There is a limit to how long a .cfg file can be and still have Quake 3 read all the way to the end of it. To get around this problem you can exec a second .cfg file from inside the first one.

devmap- this enables cheat mode. It’s the alternative to the map command. If you load a map with this command you will be able to adjust things like timescale and do other things like enable moving thru walls and giving yourself items for free.

reconnect- typing this is faster than reconnecting to a server any other way.

record- enter the filename of a demo you want to record after this command. Recording demos reduces your frames per second a little bit so if you can, have a spectator record the demo through your point of view. You must set g_synchronousclients to 1 before recording and then set it back to zero immediately after starting the recording. This is a client variable. It doesn’t matter what the server has this set to.

sensitivity- keep it nice and low. If it’s too low, it’ll be obvious. I see 100 times more people with a sensitivity that is too high than too low.

timedemo- This is for testing how many frames per second you are getting. Some people just use the cg_drawfps command but it is not a reliable measure. Timedemo averages your frames from the cg_drawfps command over a long period of time for a standard demo. Either demo001 or demo002 are the two standard demos everyone uses to test their frames per second. If you get 70 frames per second or less, you seriously need to get a new computer. If you get under 100 frames per second, your computer is hurting your gameplay. The best computers and graphic cards nowadays get up easily to about 125 frames per second which is absolutely fantastic to see. Even when you’re up over 125 frames more is still better.

timescale- not only changes the speed of time on a server or single player game, it acts like slow motion and fast-forward while watching demos.

vid_restart- some video settings don’t take effect until you have done this command.

Why lower your video detail settings?

1) Less camouflage. It’ll be easier to recognize people.

2) More frames per second. This is the most important one. Not only will it be easier to see what’s going on, but you won’t have tiny pauses in action-packed battles.

3) Less clutter in between you and enemies. Weapons will create less screening effect.

Some maps to play against bots

http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … 13camp.zip
http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … f_beta.zip
http://markotorg.com/pubneab/Ugriumij/T … beta7b.zip

Team play Chat Binds

Quad carrier is dead.

Quad soon

I need the item.- If I need an item that is right next to them I will click my use item button quickly to let them know not to get it. This gives off an audible clicking sound.

Item available here!

Primary Yellow Armor, Secondary Yellow Armor, Red Armor, or Mega Health has just been taken.

Two or three enemies here!

Capture the Flag Chat Binds

Incoming enemy high

Incoming enemy low

Enemy flag carrier is here!

Attacking location X now.

I'm about to die with the flag.

Opponent is about to die with the flag.

Quad/a power-up soon

Base safe.

Base not safe.

Other Binds

quit- exits Quake instantly

vote yes

vote no

say Nice

say omg

say Thanks

say gg

say

say Yes

say No

Why some maps are not fun:

• Not enough health- you play perfectly yet you still die a lot.

• Not enough armor- you play perfectly yet you still die a lot.

• Includes the BFG.

• Too many power ups- zero through 4 is plenty.

• Too wide open- you don’t want to have to aim for the entire match without any rest, not to mention open maps are boring because there’s no geography to interact around. There is no personal style on wide open maps.

• Spawn points are too rich- you don’t want your opponent to spawn near rocket launcher and mega health three times in a row! You’re lucky you fragged them after those ridiculous spawns!

• Spawn points are too economically varied- one spawn point is near the red armor and rocket launcher while another is near two ammo packs and two shards.

• Too many teleporters- teleporters add randomness as well as camping.

• Too campable- never having to leave one place and still winning.

• Too stallable
• Poor use of jump pads- using jump pads makes you vulnerable, for example: if all the spawn points are on the bottom floor and all the weapons are on the top floor and there’s only jump pads to get you there the map sucks.

• Too few frames per second- some maps have way too much beauty in them to be playable.

Question Answers

Why is it preferred to have team damage on?

Having the ability to damage your own team members changes the way the game is played entirely. It reduces spam very much. It allows for more skill to develop. For people who don’t play for the love of competition team damage is best left off though. Especially on public servers where people don’t care as much about their teammates. With team damage left off the teammates get to hang around more closely to each other which is fun.

Why is Quad not liked in 1on1?

It puts too much emphasis on the time the quad spawns. The rest of the game isn't nearly as important. A four frag lead can be easy to get when you have quad and a four frag lead can be enough to stall for 10 minutes on some maps.

Why are no power-ups liked in 1on1?

The teleporter teleports you to a random location. The randomness is not desirable in competition. We want all that happens in the game to be able to be controlled by the players. They are too powerful for 1on1. People can stall for long periods in most 1on1 maps. So a lead in the beginning can mean certain win depending on how stallable the map is.

Why is the BFG hated?

It unbalances the game. It takes up way too much of the same. It is completely absent in all leagues, including CTF, Team Death Match, Free For All, and 1on1.

Future Quake Live Hopes

1) Better recording features. More settings like captured video and sound quality, videos adjusting and sharing with other QL players.
2) Multi-core processor support. Better performance
3) Nvidia 3D Vision support
4) Nvidia SLI and ATI CrossFire support
5) More than default 125 FPS limit. Up to 200 FPS.
6) Old computer graphic feature or Play on a netbook graphic feature (VERY LOW settings, lower than usual)
7) Rocket Arena mode
8) Arena CTF mode. Mix of CA and CTF. The idea is to break the round limit. The round may be won only by a flag capture. Two ways to have a flag capture. First way – kill all players from your opponent team and make a flag capture or the second - sneak in the your opponent home base, capture the flag and go back to the home base at any moment of the round. The flag could only be kept for 1 minute.
9) Double Weapon mode. Holding two weapons instead of one, which are shooting at one place. Double damage as well.
10) InstaDuel mode. The same duel (armors and megas), but with one weapon.
11) Custom maps creating tools or feature. Also, Id, you could run a custom maps audition and the winner's map would go to the default QL maps list, while the winner would get a pro account for free.
12) More settings freedom in private servers. Like a timescale adjusting, changing respawn times, weapon reloads, weapon dps and damages, time and frag limits.
13) More character models. The old ones are a bit boring, add plz new.
14) 5.1 and 7.1 surround sounds support. Better sound and better prediction of the opponent.
15) Premium and Pro features for free xDDD
16) More training maps
17) Timing training mode
18) Bot race training mode. To train strafe jumps, wins that one, who has the highest speed after 8 jumps.
19) MORE KINDS OF WEAPONS. Add a Cement launcher. Add in a forked path gun. Add in a gun that shoots in a cast net path. Add in a gun that stays in someone for 3 seconds and then detonates and the whole time has a wire that is connected to you. Add in a gun with more than one crosshair that would shoot through all of them at the same time. Sticky trails like glue that slows people down. An option to shoot your gun in the opposite direction as your crosshair. i.e. behind you. But you wouldn’t have to look backward because the gun would be able to shoot out of both ends of it’s barrel. It could offer some very creative shots and a whole new skill to develop. A gun that's bad side is that it has a laser scope attached to it so everyone knows where you are pointing it. Air grenades to blow things around including yourself without making damage. Guns that destroy items on the map. Guns that grab items on the map. Gunfire that bounces off of walls, but always NORMAL to the surface! Gunfire that always slides along walls! Gunfire that leaves a floor or wall hot for 1 second so you can’t touch it.

20) Better bot AI. It’s so easy to make bots that time the items and strafe jump but only the mod makers do it. Why? If it takes up too much CPU power then make a dedicated bot client that can connect to your listen server over a network.

21) More kinds of items. A magnetic shoes power up so you can walk on walls and or ceilings like in Alien versus Predator. Maybe just a sticky shoes power up so you can walk on steeper slopes for a little while, not have as much inertia (dodge better), and not slip in oil. A rear view mirror key that places a little mirror on your screen. X-ray vision power up. Slick trails like oil that makes it hard for people to stop. An item called a camera that you can throw around corners to see what’s there. An item called a microphone that you can leave places and listen through.

22) More realistic physics would be nice but is as high on my list as all the other hopes.

Vocabulary

This vocabulary is intended to be light-hearted yet useful. The terms work like short hand so you can communicate with your friends quickly during a game or elsewhere without having to type a lot. They are perfect for someone writing commentary of important matches for websites. This list meant to be include names for all the main elements of strategy in Quake. If you’re concerned about these ideas while you play, you know you’re on the right track.

Aggressor’s advantage- fighting someone before they are ready to fight you. The advantage is also having more than 100 health and 100 armor because you haven’t waited for it to count down. This can be the advantage of surprise as well.

Aiming ahead of someone- aiming where you expect them to be (usually with the rail gun) and for consistency not moving your mouse and just clicking when they walk into your crosshair. This is not shooting ahead of them. It has nothing to do with leading or accounting for ping. This technique is not only for long range sniping! It is as useful at the closest ranges as it is from far away!

Ambushing- waiting quietly behind a corner for someone to come past the corner. You sacrifice item control for a little while to possibly get a surprise shot at an opponent’s back. In 1on1 this can slow the pace of the game down considerably if your opponent finds out you like to ambush.

The bait & switch- switching weapons to a machine gun, a gauntlet, an empty weapon, or a weapon the opponent has little use for right before being fragged. This is very hard to do since you have to leave enough time to get the next weapon out completely before dying. This is most useful in team death match, followed by 1 on 1, followed by FFA. It’s most easily done when you find yourself trapped behind a corner with very little health. This skill takes a long time to get good at, since not timing it right has some bad consequences.

Baiting- letting someone have the item so you can hit them when they get it. This is deliberately choosing to not pick up the item when you can and waiting for them to comeand get it.

Battle aka engagement- a close contact where there is a lot of quick interaction between2 or more players. Close contact is considered roughly within range of the lightning gun.

Being stacked- having nearly 200 health and nearly 200 armor. Stacked also refers to having nearly 100 health and 200 armor on maps that don't have a mega health.

Blocking- when you hear an enemy about to kill another person you can get in between them. This is done in BOTH team play mode and FFA mode. In FFA mode, it's done when you need kills badly and have a lot of health. If it is hard to find people to kill, you will find yourself needing to do this a lot. This blocks shots with your body, diverts the players attention onto you, and screen the two players from each other. Now you have the chance to get both kills if you have enough life and good weapons.

Bounce lead- aim rockets or grenades to miss intentionally a little to an opponent’s left or right so their aim is stunned in the opposite direction. This is done when you don't know exactly where they will be so you need to stun them quick to save your health and then go for more damage on the your next shot. It’s a shot you let off very quickly and don’t worry if it hits far from them because you know it will jolt their view anyway. Bounce leads are usually done when an opponent drops down on top of you and you don’t know which side of you they’re going to fall off onto. They are also done frequently in rocket versus rocket battles when you have been “out-synced.”

Butting heads- The battle that ensues when two people meet at one of the most valuable items on the map. This usually happens 1 to 5 seconds before the item spawns.

Catapulting- when a teammate shoots another teammate in the back to speed them up. This is only done when friendly fire is off.

Cess- concentrating on aiming the machine gun since it is the only weapon you have. The added concentration on aiming the machine gun makes it an effective weapon. This term is used mostly in team play when 2 or 3 people on the same team rush a single room with only machine guns. The term is also used when someone is reverse spawn fragged.

Cleaning up- switching to a weapon that is more reliable at taking off a little bit of health in order to take off just a little bit of health. The lightning gun is the best one of these. The rail gun is the worst one of these. The shotgun and machine gun are also popular clean up weapons.

Clogging their gun- when an opponent has a rocket launcher, grenade launcher, or BFG sacrificing yourself so when they shoot you they'll either have to take splash damage or have to switch to a less effective weapon. This is simply entails getting as close as you can to them.

Corner lead- shoot to one side of a person several times so that they will have to dodge in the opposite direction and corner themselves or be forced to eat the shots. For their best interest they should have eaten a shot instead. A more general term for this is herding.

Crossing the streams- two or more people shooting someone with the lightning gun just like in Ghostbusters.

Crucifying- holding the fire button down before the next rail shot is available to be shot and hitting the shot. This is done to get off the shot as soon as possible, saving every millisecond. This can be done in 3 circumstances: 1) right after a previous rail shot and the gun is reloading, 2) while switching weapons to the rail gun, or 3) before stepping on more rail slugs when you were out of them.

Dancing aka hanging around- staying in a battle for one of two reasons even though you will not win the battle in terms of damage inflicted. 1) wasting their ammo or 2) wasting their time so you can re-spawn and have some items to pick up or so that you can flee and get to an item that you are closer to when it spawns soon.

Denial- shooting yourself with splash damage so you can pick up more shards or healths to keep them from your opponent(s). This is actually a very good tactic to use most of the time.

Dogfight- a battle between two people while both are airborne.

Disabling- 99 percent exclusive to CTF mode, this is only taking some damage off an opponent and letting them proceed (into your own base 90 percent of the time). This way you don’t waste your time, ammo, and armor on killing them since you know they are not a threat. You get to continue onward with your own task.

Drawing a line on someone- the lightning gun never leaves the person. Especially on someone in the air. You’ll see a nice continuous line of red blood on them and they’ll lose a hell of a lot of health. This is a major complement to give someone. It takes incredible aim to do this.

Faking distraction- hurting yourself in FFA so someone will come closer to attack you. Done with plasma gun, rocket launcher, or grenade launcher. You can also miss shots as well to sound like being in a battle with someone else. The point is to sound occupied with someone else.

Far lead- aiming a rocket so as to bring an opponent closer to you or to bring them in past a narrow point on the map.

Firing blind- looking around a corner or below a ledge a second time and firing instantly at a place on the map without looking to see if they are where you are aiming or not. They may be completely gone, but you believe the benefits outweigh the costs. One thing that can be done to make this shot more reliable is to not move the mouse at all in between the first and second looks. Only the feet need to be moved sometimes.
Flick shot- hitting a rail or shotgun shot whereby you move your mouse from one place to their body instantly firing in the same motion.

Footwork aiming- using footwork to increase aiming accuracy. Works with any weapon but especially the rail and lightning gun. For rail and shotgun it adds consistency but decreases response time. For lightning gun, machine gun, and plasma gun it is different than for the other weapons. The way it works for these three weapons is you try to move in the same direction as the opponent is moving (left or right only). You assume they are moving circularly to you (perpendicular to the direction you would be aiming if you were pointing exactly at them) since this is the most common dodge tactic (called circle strafing). This allows your velocities to be identical and if you ARE aiming at them exactly, every shot hits its target one after the next in very rapid succession. This is so successful because it turns the tide of the battle more quickly than the loser can predict so they can't change to evasive tactics in time to save themselves. You’ll be missing entirely before your feet get your crosshair to the place you want to be aiming but as soon as you get there and walk in the correct direction they get hit with every lightning or plasma ammo in a row. That’s what turns the tide so quickly. That’s not the only advantage of this aiming though. It is also more accurate than not using your feet to aim. Normal aim works on a steadier, more average pace for lack of a better expression. If you only need to take off a very tiny bit of health, just move your crosshair all around them.

Forcing the issue aka pressuring someone- making a person rise to the occasion at your discretion. Trying to win by choosing the EXACT time of a key battle. This is the "aggressor's advantage." In games where there are many possible outcomes during the match that take effort to predict, the aggressor's advantage is best. It has become popular to continuously force the issue for an entire match to tire out an opponent. Regulation matches are always 15 or 20 minutes. That’s a long time to maintain intense concentration so some people try to pack as much action into the match as they can. This tactic is done by people who think they are the better player and don’t want the match to be a lucky upset.

Giving stilts- a double air rail from below with the first one contributing to the opponent’s hang time.

Glancing- using the edge of your field of view to look instead of moving your mouse more and disrupting your frame of reference for aiming.

Going kamikaze- being reckless due to having to claw your way back from a deficit in a short time. Sometimes one or more of your lives have to be sacrificed in order to create an opportunity for you to tie the game. Going kamikaze can be attacking so as to distract or hurt an enemy and being willing to die to do it. This is almost entirely done in CTF. But is also done in team death match to get quad and die so the other team can’t use it.

Grenade jab- using the grenade launcher instead of rocket spam in order to save on rockets. This is usually done when the opponent is expecting you to fire another rocket.

Hider's advantage- choosing the place of a key battle but not the time. The opponent doesn't have much certainty about where to find you. The hider relies on already having planned out their own actions in detail and well into the future. The aggressor can’t plan to such an extent since the location of the battle is not definite.

Hot potato- a direct grenade hit.

Keeping the upper hand- playing more defensively and not taking risks in order to use the pressure of having the lead in a match. This is not stalling, but is close. The difference in scores is typically small. Keeping the upper hand takes on added meaning in 1 on 1 play. It can be staying at one part of a map that has armor and ammo and not leaving; just defending when other valuable items aren’t spawning. If keeping the upper hand works for more than about a couple minutes, the map is considered stallable and therefore a poor choice for competitive matches.

Land mines- grenades laid where someone may teleport to.

Life- health and armor combined, except the armor that would be left on someone if they died. If you have 25 health and 125 armor, you don’t have 225 life. Instead you have 75 life because you’ll die with 50 armor left over.

Making someone dance- firing toward someone to disrupt their aim even though you know you probably won't hit a significant amount of the shots fired. It’s one thing to have to dodge and aim at the same time. It’s even harder though to have to dodge things that are already coming at you and aim at the same time.

Matrix dodging aka sucking in your gut- turning to face projectiles as they barely miss you to the left or right. This moves a corner of your hit box away from the shot. This tactic takes advantage of the cubic shape of your hit box. It is a rare spectacle.

Momentum jump- a strafe jump with extra velocity since it was done while hitting the ground after a fall.

Mugging- waiting around a corner with the gauntlet ready. This is usually done while fleeing from an opponent.

Near lead- aiming a rocket so as to bounce someone away from you.

Pacing one’s self- not forcing yourself to make difficult plays in quick succession. 1) Resting in between so that you can retain/regain your composure, or 2) Giving yourself time to preview by visualizing what winning the next battle will entail. This way you have a plan and maybe a contingency plan, and your opponent may not have had the time to prepare for the battle. Rest times may vary between 1 second and several minutes in the most extreme case. The median rest time is about 10 seconds. The time is lowest in FFA, higher in team play, highest in 1 on 1. With fewer people the time is higher. Pacing comes into play when you are exerting yourself absolutely as much as possible.

Patriot missile- a direct rocket hit on an airborne opponent.

Patriot potato- a direct grenade hit on an airborne opponent.

Peon- a person who just spawned. They are obviously weak and an easy frag to score. Peons are weaker in team play mode since the machine gun damage is reduced from seven to five.

Plasma climb- climbing walls with the plasma gun. It’s done by facing a wall and getting up against it. Then aiming down at where the wall meets the floor. If you press and hold the fire button down when you jump you’ll gradually climb the wall.

Playing possum- voluntarily taking some of the splash damage from an opponent’s spam rockets and grenades so that your opponent will think you have less life than you do and decide to attack you. The trick is to just barely get within the splash radius of these weapons so you only take about 5 health off. If they don’t see how far away you were when the shot explodes they will usually assume it hit closer to you than it really did.

Pre-spawn raping- firing at vacant spawn points in case someone spawns there.

Reactor's advantage- choosing the place of a key battle but not the time. Awareness must somehow remain heightened and fatigue dealt with. The opponent knows where you are. In games that are slower than Quake there is no disadvantage to being a reactor. The only challenge is to be calm and aware before every match.

Recon shot- a spam shot done to see if someone is there. The beep lets you know if they are there. These are most often long shots that you don’t watch and don’t even stay around for.

Reverse lead- to shoot where someone will be if they reverse their velocity. It's a counter move of a counter move. You look like a real dummy when you use this on someone who is playing Quake for the first time and never even thinks to dodge because then you completely miss. At long range you can clearly see when someone tries this tactic.

Reverse spawn frag- when a person frags another but doesn’t have much life left over there’s a chance for the loser of the battle to reverse spawn frag the winner. It’s completely random luck. The irony is that if the loser of the first battle kills the winner the lucky loser now has a head start on getting items. Reverse spawn frags are pretty rare, but the influence a peon has when he re-spawns after a close battle is not as rare. The person who got the frag first may have to give up control of the map in order to get health/armor even if he isn’t reverse spawn fragged. This is good reason for map authors to make spawn points that are all poor. Most battles occur near valuable items. Put the spawn points away from those items and there won’t be as many reverse spawn frags.Reverse spawn frags can really make people mad. They are frustrating and just plain wrong. But the first battle actually was close and the winner does have a better weapon so they can probably put some damage on the peon. Reverse spawn frags are more of an issue in 1 on 1 games, although they do matter in team death match and CTF as well. In 1 on 1 more attention paid to them will prevent a lot of them. In FFA they aren’t much of an issue because two people trading a kill both ways is still more productive than not scoring any frags at all in that time period. In crowded FFA games, people are always spawning near you anyways.

Road blocks- spam that is to block a passageway from being traversed.

Rocket running- rocket jumping at a low angle to the ground to gain speed not height. This is usually done with the battle suit on when you have rockets to spare.

Scanning- rushing into a room that has more than a screen’s worth of places where an opponent could be. The perfect example of this is coming out of a teleporter. A very quick look around the room is necessary. There are several ways to scan depending on the situation. You can do a quick flick to aim at the exact place where you think the opponent probably is. You can do a flick all the way to the right or left extreme where he could be to check the side you think they probably are. Follow this with a slide of your aim around to the other side. It’s tougher when you teleport into a room where someone could be anywhere around you, 360 degrees. Some people scan left then slide around to their right and then check their back third. Another option is to delay a millisecond and aim at the first sound you hear. People don’t scan only left or only right for a complete 360 degrees, since the sound of someone will be heard before a full 360 degrees can be looked at. You can note someone’s scanning pattern and adjust to it later in the game. Don’t rely on taking advantage of someone’s scanning pattern and don’t put much energy into it since it doesn’t always pay off. Just try to note it a few times in a row, and if they get really predictable with it, take advantage of it.

Scattering- rocket jumping to evade being hit. This is best done to get over the opponent’s head, to get behind an object quickly, or as a rocket run.

Screening- using the plasma gun, lightning gun, rocket launcher, or any other weapon more to reduce the opponents vision than to inflict damage.

Slash shooting- hitting a shotgun or rail shot whereby you move your mouse from one place to a place past their body in one motion and firing in between. It is sort of like a baseball swing.

Sneaker's advantage- walking instead of running when rounding corners that the opponent may be around so that you retain full aggressor's advantage. The difference is the lack of footstep sounds.

Spam- a general guess shot at an opponent that you can't see or just throwing extra ammo into high traffic areas of a map. People may be there or not, but the shooter doesn’t know. It's not aimed so much at people but at a place on the map.

Spawn raping- fragging a player who never had time to have any effect on the game in their short lifespan. Spawn raping is also a long-term strategy that is characterized by going to certain places on the map that are near many spawn points.

Splash damage- damage taken from a rocket, grenade, BFG round, or even a plasma ball when not directly contacted by the projectile.

Squaring off- facing someone during a battle to make yourself a smaller target. There are very few instances when matrix dodging is preferred over squaring off. This tactic takes advantage of the cubic shape of your hit box.

Stalling- wasting time when you have the lead. There are very complicated stalling techniques for each map and various situations on each map. Near the end of close matches, this is done frequently in 1 on 1 and occasionally done in team death match but never done in FFA. The most extreme form of stalling is not re-spawning until the game automatically forces you to. The default value for g_forcerespawn is 20 seconds. This value is commonly lessened in tournaments and leagues.

Standing someone up- intentionally waiting next to a spawned valuable item instead of picking it up so that you can pick it up later than your opponent thinks you will. This is done when the opponent is too far away to hear when you pick the item up. If your opponent tries to get the item next time around, they will have to wait at the item for the extra time that you delayed. This can give you time to spam grenades at them or walk to set up an ambush around a corner. They are pretty much in the hot seat while they are waiting for that item to spawn. You’ll be able to try to hit them with more shots while they dodge around the place where the item spawns.

Stealing frag(s)- in FFA mode, choosing to get into the battle only after the battle has already started between other people.

Stick & move- shoot a little and break off contact to go a different route without waiting at the place you shot them at all. They don't know if you stayed or left.

Suckering- using a less appropriate weapon to get the opponent to come to you. Maybe they don't know you have a better weapon. Maybe they know but don't think you can switch weapons fast enough.

Sucker punching- waiting on the outside of a teleporter with your gauntlet on. The opponent has absolutely no way to avoid the hit if he goes through.

Swerving- battling up close with an opponent and suddenly side-stepping to their left or right and then instantly shooting. This let’s you dodge an opponent and make him a bigger target since they aren’t pointing directly at you. This tactic takes advantage of the right angles on an opponent’s hit box.

Syncing items- delaying getting an item to sync it with the next spawn times of other items. Example: you don’t want to “rocket run” from one armor to another armor because you’ll have to “rocket run” the next time too. Another example: delaying an important item so it will spawn at the same time as another important item so your opponent will be forced to choose between which one he wants to get next time they spawn. This is a way to “keep the upper hand.” This latter example is called “un- syncing items” (even though you are actually giving the items the same future spawn time).

Syncing shots- timing your shots so that they are immediately before your opponent will shoot so they either miss their shot or have to delay their shot. Syncing shots can cause them to miss either because of the explosion moving their character perpendicular to the direction they are aiming (like a bounce lead does) or because of the artificial movement of their view programmed into Quake 3 when they are hit. The artificial movement portion doesn't actually move where they are really aiming but does move their crosshair and whole view. Good players deliberately ignore this artificial movement when they can foresee you are employing this tactic. They’ll shoot despite where their crosshair appears to be pointing. Syncing shots dramatically increases the chances of winning seemingly equal battles especially when the syncing person is using the rocket launcher. People who aren't experts don't know how you can win so many battles in a row and tend to complain that they are off their game when you do this to them a lot. This tactic is one of the major things that helps Quake continue to be a fun game and preserves Quake's uniqueness with respect to other games. Syncing shots deals both with reload times of weapons and with weapon switching times. Syncing not only deals with jolting the aim of the person but jolting their body's position so their aim is off target. For example, if you rail someone right before they shoot a rocket at your feet, their rocket will land in front of you by a little bit. The synchronizing has saved you some damage. On an extended note, the splash damage will move you away from your opponent making your rail gun a more appropriate weapon for the battle.

Tilting your head- turning your view horizontally solely for the purpose of hearing which side of you a person is on. This amplifies the difference of the stereo sound in your headphones. A special case is when someone is either directly behind you or in front of you. The sound is exactly the same so you must tilt your head to determine which side of you they are on.

Time giver- spam that an opponent will hear and have to refrain from coming through a narrow place on the map. This is usually done more to slow someone down rather than to stop them entirely.

Throw lead- aim rockets or grenades to miss intentionally a little bit so an opponent falls over a ledge.

Trading places- picking a fight when you probably will lose in terms of damage in order to flee toward a valuable item that will spawn soon. If you damage them more than you get hurt or even kill them that’s a bonus.

Tripping- finishing someone off with a rocket when they are so close they could clog your gun. This is a difficult technique that involves shooting to either side of them and a little bit behind them so that you don’t explode your rocket too close to you (or on their body which is too close to you). This is only done when they have very little life left. This is a risky maneuver, and it can really backfire on you if you miss. Remember that self splash damage is halved so your rocket can take off a maximum of 50 life from you.

Turtle- shoot a little and break off contact as if to go a different route but stay just out of view. The opponent doesn’t know if you stayed or left. One or two jumps can add to their indecision. Either that or some footstep sounds may help.

Using dominant position- picking to fight when the geometry of the map favors you. THIS DEPENDS ON THE WEAPON YOU AND YOUR OPPONENT HAVE SELECTED and even on the other weapons you and your opponent have in your arsenals as well. Your position is dominant typically when you have the higher ground, but this is the simplest case. If you have the machine gun and the other person has the lightning gun, you have dominant position when far away. Playing Rocket Arena really makes you good at using dominant position and knowing what positions are more dominant. This is one of the most complicated things in Quake.

Wall pin- aiming a rocket so as to bounce an opponent into a wall where they can't dodge in as many directions and you have a wall to splash damage them if you miss their body directly on the next shot.

Winning the station game- varying your location in rooms and near the outsides of teleporters. Rooms and the outside ends of teleporters I call stations. You don’t want to be found on the same side of the teleporter every time someone sees you. The goal is to locate yourself as randomly as possible. But also to pick where they won’t think you are. At the same time you must remember that going to a different position than last time they saw you at that station has an advantage: they haven’t responded to you in that place before so they will be less accurate because that response is not as “warmed up” for them. Scanning versus stationing is like a miniature game within Quake.

Commentary

There are no limits for an any player, just some players plays better than you. But some times you* will see, that it is to easy to kill even 4 people in CA mode, when your are the last in your team. It shows how far you got, what is your REAL skill level is when you try harder. If it happens 4 or 5 times in a week, better in a day, than your progress is really fast. It happens me about 6 times in two weeks, when I am fragin' like crazy. But it makes me a bit sad because when I play, no-one ever says nice or omg to me. While playing, just try to win the game and have more crazy moments xDDDD.

Conclusion

All these strategies merge together the more you play. Go through periods of trying too hard alternating with periods of not caring at all. Go through periods of trying so hard that it makes you lose games because you focused to much on one thing. Then go through games lazily just typing to people about whatever you want. Some time if you’re lucky you’ll get in a situation where you want to beat someone and then play aggressively and calmly at the same time. I thought Quake was really cool when I first got it, but knowing more about it has only added to my amazement and enjoyment of it.
Thank YOU for reading my guide. I guess, you should like it.

#3 2011-04-14 10:11:35

vyjec

FORUMOWY MAGIK!!!

Punktów :   

Re: znalezione w sieci, moze byc przydatne, poradnik [ANGIELSKI]

nie mozna bylo pisac pod swoimi postami a nie wszystko sie zmiescilo w jednym wiec bylem zmuszony zalozyc drugie konto. i jeszcze jedna sprawa. taka akcja pokazuje, ze : kazdy moze wejsc i przegladac nasze forum, kazdy moze sie zarejestrowac. trzeba to zmienic. dziekuje za uwage

• Index
  •  » O LG6
  •  » znalezione w sieci, moze byc przydatne, poradnik [ANGIELSKI]

Stopka forum

RSS